Home is the place of refuge for millions to find solace amid the growing pandemic. Undoubtedly, this is a tough time. As we all are navigating through choices, nutrition holds the top spot to keep ourselves running. I am not referring to an actual run here. What I mean is nutrition is a vital component to fight against the growing pandemic. It is believed that food does not only nourish our stomach, but it also feeds our minds. Experts say that a simple effort in cooking can cure the ailments of today and tomorrow. So, why not use this quarantine time to do something healthy for yourself. Here are some of the easy to cook recipes for a healthy lockdown period.
Bacon-Wrapped Pesto Pork Tenderloin
It is one of the favorite delicacies to present when you are with your family. However, when the weather warms up, you can grill it instead. Here’s what you need to make a mouth-watering delicacy in a matter of minutes.
- Bacon strips-10
- Pork tenderloin-1
- Pepper- ¼ tsp
- Prepared pesto- ⅓ cup
- Shredded Italian cheese blend- 1 cup
- Baby spinach- 1 cup
How to Make?
- Start with preheating your oven at 425°. After that, arrange your bacon strips lengthwise within a foil. Slightly overlap them while placing them on a pan.
- Cut the tenderloin through the center to ½ inch of the bottom. And place it on the center on the beacon strip.
- Now sprinkle your pork with pepper and gently spread with pesto. Once done with that, layer with cheese or spinach. Close tenderloin. And wrap it around bacon.
- Secure the ends of the dish with toothpicks. And then roast the piece for about eight minutes on all sides. Then, place the beacon in the oven until the temperature reaches 145°. It would take around 17-20 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and wait for five minutes before the final slicing. Serve with sides of you choice. I love pairing it with a few fries and corn on the cobs.
Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings With Barbecue Sauce
It is one of the most delightful or flavorful savories. The intense flavors will make you crazy, forgetting everything that’s happening around. The process itself will be so enticing that you will feel relieved from all the stressors. The dry rub can be used for protein or veggies. Here’s what you need to start the process.
- Dried oregano- 2 tsp
- Dried thyme- 2 tsp
- Smoked Salt- 1.5 Tbsp
- Granulated Garlic- 2 Tsp
- Granulated onion- 2 Tsp
- Dried pepper- 2 Tsp
- Ground black pepper, cumin, chili, dry coriander- ½ Tsp each
- Chicken wings- 4 pounds
For Barbecue Sauce, you will need a sweet onion cut into ½ inch thick rings. Along with that, you will require 12 ounces cherry tomatoes (cut in half). After that, collect 1 tsp of Frank’s red hot sauce, 2 tbsp of molasses, 3 tbsp dark brown sugar, 2 tbsp honey, 3 tbsp tomato paste with 1 tsp granulated garlic. It does not end there. You will also need ¼ cup cider vinegar, 1 ½ tsp smoked salt, ¼ tsp chili powder, and ground coriander. And lastly, ½ tsp smoked paprika and liquid smoke.
How to Make?
- Use a spice grinder to grind the dried thyme or oregano. Just do the best you can as it won’t be entirely a fine powder.
- Add the ground spices to a bowl and add the remaining ingredient. Once you mix all of them thoroughly, place the chicken wings in another bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice mix on the top of your wings and then toss it into the bowl of spices. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- You can make the barbecue sauce ahead of time. It can work for you at least for a week if kept in a refrigerator. To make the sauce, heat the grill to 550 degrees. Line the baking sheet with foil and broil the onion and tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add this onion-tomato mixture to a blender and add the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend it thoroughly. And refrigerate it until you need it.
- For wings, preheat your oven at 500 degrees. In this case, line your baking sheet with a silicone mat or a foil. Arrange the wings on the sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Then drop the temp to 350 degrees. And again cook for at least 10 minutes. Serve immediately with the sauce.
Chicken And Cheese Tortilla Pie
It is one of the most delicious items that you can assemble in minutes. And it won’t even leave any leftovers. In short, a perfect way to make use of your time.
- Green Enchilada Sauce- 10 ounces
- Corn Tortillas- 8 (6 inches)
- Shredded rotisserie chicken- 2 cups
- Shredded cheddar cheese- 2 cups
- Slices olives- ¼ cup
How to Make?
- Please turn on your oven and preheat it to 375 degrees—warm enchilada sauce over medium heat using a small skillet. Then, place four tortillas, one at a time, and coat the sides.
- Layer them with chicken, cheese, and olives. Sprinkle the rest of the sauce on the cheese and olives. Then, bake for 10-15 minutes or until your cheese melts. Serve the dish with salsa.